Friday, June 18, 2010

Running to Yoga

Running is one of the greatest highs I have ever experienced. Seven years ago I started a collegiate running career that changed my life. It brought so much good to my life. Some days I felt guilty about the joy I was constantly experiencing. Just a great addiction (song link). I kept running because of the positive energy that was constantly being released in my body. I loved feeling super fit and fast.  Check out "My RUN is my Drug" to see how crazy people are about running. I had a couple bumps in the road with passing out, tendinitis and an iron deficiency. I always seem to rebound and return to my running passion.

Yoga accompanied me when running was troublesome and I loved releasing my uncomfortably tight muscles. After three years of racing for Saint Francis University in Loretto, PA I found myself transferring to Florida State University (FSU). I transferred for a number of different reasons but my main reason was to attend a big school with loads of opportunities. Upon my arrival I was burden with a horrible spinal injury that affected the way I walked and ran.  The amazing running energy was gone and all I was left with was a really stiff right leg, back pain, and a dream to run again.

I immediately turned to Yoga. The FSU trainers and doctors had me go through numerous procedures in order to heal my body and get me back on the track, too. I had painful dextrose shots in my pelvic area, a stretch therapist, daily ice baths, traction therapy, chiropractic work, acupuncture, two epidurals, and yoga. There were tons of attempts to get me back and running but nothing seemed to work immediately. Running did not feel natural anymore and finding my body's inner balance was a struggle when it came to running.

I had to grow patience and eventually just gave up on the activity. I replaced running with Yoga and started teaching during my second semester at FSU. Teaching and practicing yoga helped me stop thinking about running. It was a good place to redirect my running energy. Yoga was similar to my life as a dancer so it was easy to relate to the postures. The hardest part was opening my tight body from all the running.

After four years of Yoga, I continue to practice and teach with joy. Just recently, I have returned to running and hope to keep it in my life. I have been attending my old club's practices and loving the social exercise. Finding a yoga and running balance is my current challenge. I am loving the return of the running highs but I cannot get ahead of myself. My goal is a  Florida 5 km in October and after that, we shall see what happens!

Yoga continues to amaze me but running still seems to reach a very different euphoric state of mind. I hope to one day find equal sensation in my yoga practice.

namaste yogis

yours gingerly,

W h i t n e y

No comments:

Post a Comment