Monday, June 14, 2010

First Time

Last Wednesday I taught my first official Yoga class in Canada. I have been teaching Yoga in the USA for over 4 years and it was special to teach at home.

My yoga opportunity came unexpected but I was thrilled with the opportunity. Fortunately, the gym, Bodyworks, accommodated my coast guard shift work and have allowed for me to teach Yoga during my off weeks:)

Last week I had one very eager student. She sparkled with joy. I could not have asked for a better first class. We focused on her tight upper body. I used an Anusara wall stretch that I learned from Elsie's Yoga Podcast. It was nice to help just one student through each posture. Her communication through each posture helped me guide her into a more accessible and comfortable position. It was great to watch her easily find alignment because I was right beside her the whole time.

The first Wednesday morning yoga class was so very pleasing because of the student who came. For a visual picture, I am teaching at a very small gym that does not have a huge fitness space. The Yoga class is taught in a nice open room that does not have a closing door. The room's entrance is a walkway. I set the mood by keeping the lights off and guiding the class in a corner that was away from the open doorway. Sparkle just made everything smooth and simple. The music in the gym and my background music competes with my voice. A little balance is needed in order to maintain a nice flow. Now that yoga has graced the gym it will be nice to see how many more individuals will join the practice.

Thanks Sparkle for my Yoga high!

WHITNEY SCHNARR

No comments:

Post a Comment