Monday, May 24, 2010

Yoga Jobs

Last week I arrived back in my home city, Waterloo! I was living in Florida and attending school. Before I could come home I had to attend Coast Guard training at the Trenton, ON. We were stationed for training on the Air Force base. It was a cool experience and I got to wear my Coast Guard blues all week. Not to mention have a great time with the Inshore Search and Rescue coxswains and rookies.

Once in Waterloo I have began searching for yoga opportunities. Randomly, a fitness centre called me requesting a yoga instructor. My Bikram Yoga instructor had given out my name to a fitness centre. I was so excited that I booked an interview immediately. After two hours of perfecting my resume and getting ready for the interview I arrived at the fitness centre. They had a charming owner and were willing to work with my shift schedule with the coast guard. She showed me the open space just off the main workout zone and said that I would be paid twenty dollars per class. The money and the awkward space did not bother me at this point everything seemed surreal. I just really wanted to teach yoga in my home city.

I left the interview excited and already thinking about how I would approach the two weekly classes. Prior to the interview I had told my friends about the opportunity, so everyone was asking me about my plans. I started thinking about the expense of driving my parents car 15 minutes to the fitness centre and my time before/after the class. Friends and family could not believe that I was willing to teach a class and make no money. I started agreeing with their logistics. It came down to the fact that yoga is a lifestyle but it is also my profession. I emailed saying that I would be unavailable to teach unless I could be paid the average instructor pay rate.

It was hard to forgo a yoga opportunity but your time and dollar are important, too. I prefer walking, roller blading, or biking to my yoga classes. Unfortunately, borrowing my parents car did not add evenly to the equation. I am sure there is someone closer who would love teaching to their community. It was hard to let go of the yoga opportunity but I think I made the right choice. Now I am planning a charity event and going to try my best to give back to my home city of Waterloo.

Thoughts from yoga instructors?

yours gingerly,

Whitney

1 comment:

  1. way to go!!! you're time and experience is important and deserves to be honored.

    ReplyDelete