Saturday, October 24, 2009

But I am not Flexible...

Yoga class does not require only flexible people. Flexibility is not the only reason people practice yoga. Yoga has benefits beyond how far you can spread your legs in the splat position. Honestly, the asana (postures) portion is only one amazing yoga aspect. Yoga can be experienced through breathing, relaxing the mind and every day life.
Asana practice appears to be the most familiar form of yoga to western civilization. I am not trying to be prejudice but a large portion of the men I talk to believe that yoga is a female stretching activity. FYI, there are lots of flavors of Yoga. The next comments I hear are based on the individual's personal restraints: 1) Flexibility, 2) Embarassment. An amazing University dorm mate struggled with flexibility. Due to scoliosis (curvature of the spine) the ability to sit straight with legs extended is still IMPOSSIBLE. In last night's phone conversation she reminded me of her scoliosis. I had completely forgot about her discomfort while in a seated posture with her legs extended. She quickly informed me that Yoga is not something she will ever be doing and her reason is flexibility. The conversation was amazing because she just got engaged after four years of true love! Congrats. I am sure George and Laura will attend the ceremony.

It was also a wonderful conversation because as a teacher people with physical restraints are always coming into the Yoga class. Individuals want to learn how to work their body in a way that they are comfortable with its abilities. Some individuals are not interested in the practice of Yoga and some really think they cannot do it! As a Yoga practictioner I do my best to share my personal Yoga story and encourage individuals to stay open minded with Yoga and life in general. It is hard to completely say no to something harmless when you have never tried.

Finally, for all those people who are not doing Yoga because they are inflexible I think you should re-think your reasoning. Avoiding Yoga because you are not interested is one reason but flexibility is a silly excuse.

much love + peace to everyone.

2 comments:

  1. liked your approach and comments. yoga is not just physical exercises. we can live yoga - 24 hours a day, without conscious effort, if we follow it in spirit. it is a way of life. i have benefitted immensely from this approach. can let u know of how to incorporate it in day to day activities, should u desire. ajay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. My focus was on students who assume yoga is only movement and use flexibility as an excuse. In my opening paragraph I share the different forms yoga can be practiced. Thanks for your comment : )

    ReplyDelete