Saturday, October 9, 2010

Obstacles

I am back and blah-blah blogging for the second time this week=)

Yesterday, I received a phone call from my supervisor.  Her message was to let me know that my Yoga classes were being reduced from 3 to 2 per week.  I was instantly disappointed because I really love the group that has been established. I began to reflect on my performance as an instructor and how it would impact the Yogis at FSC. My classes have been substantially low compared to FSU but they have maintained a minimum of 5 enthusiastic participants.

Understandably, FSC is a small private college and needs to work hard in order to attract group fitness participants.  The abrupt mid-semester change is to see if they can get more participants. It is hard not to take the change personally. Fortunately, I think I am ready to explore other teaching realms in Lakeland and I look forward to meeting new Yogis and new people in the city of swans.

While teaching this fall semester I have run into the challenge of pleasing everyone. Of course, the impossible! Within the first couple of weeks, some students complained to my supervisor that my class was too challenging. Again, I took this personally but was super grateful for the supervisor's concern for the quality of the classes and their safety of the patrons. Yoga can be detrimental when alignment is ignore and students are going beyond their edge in a posture.

While teaching I place a huge emphasis on students taking the time to feel out the posture. Any sign of pain means you should back out of the posture. I focus on learning each student's name, physical make-up and walking around the room to assist each student with the posture. I also, really encourage students embrace a variety of modifications and to ask me for assistance- anytime and all the time!  At the end of the class I re-introduced myself and encourage the students to approach me with their concerns or simple conversation. Alas, I repeat the purpose of my job as a Yoga guide, which is to make Yoga accessible to everyone who comes to class. Yoga has the power to create an amazing community filled with so much positive energy. I love the interaction with the students and the feedback they provide. Like any instructor- we long to be better for each person listening to our voice.

In general, Yoga classes held in a fitness center are a challenge because everyone wants to try Yoga. Of course- everyone should try yoga! I just love it- fortunately, classes can be designed to suit individual differences. For example, someone trying Yoga for the first time shouldn't expect to go to a Yoga class and be able to do every posture, breath and meditation exercise. If you could do everything perfectly what would be the point of practicing and enjoying your own Yoga journey? There are so many ways to enjoy a yoga session that does not involve physical exertion. Watching and listening can been highly beneficial.

I have had the privilege of teaching a variety of students and have always considered myself to be extra caring when it comes to each person's needs for modification. After a mere 4.5 years of sharing and practicing I look forward to my adventures in Lakeland. I wonder where my next teaching opportunity with be?

Finally, my message to instructors and aspiring instructors is to follow your heart and take each bump in the road as a learning point. Yoga is an endless journey- it can be a piece in your whole world- your passage through life.  Find the light- something that my new Yoga instructor, Rickie Hart, keeps encouraging!

yours gingerly,

Whitney

1 comment:

  1. Couldn't comment on the blog so u get it here instead!

    from what you were talking about it is impossible to make classes for everyone, even when we did our morning yoga, some stuff i couldn't do and some stuff i was way better at. So what i think is that it is so personal that instructing yoga is not teaching its guiding and it is an art. but i think you do a great job at it and you are only gonna get better! plus if you figure out how to attract larger amounts of people to this studio your working at right now, you will be able to easily open and attract people to your own studio when you finally open your own!!

    Thanks Ian!

    ReplyDelete